Nav bar

Saturday, 13 July 2013

In black and grey




Hullo all! The other day I watched and fell in love with an incredible film called "Walk the Line" about the life of legendary rock n' roll and country singer, Johnny Cash. Johnny's life seemed particularly prone to accidents which worked out shockingly well and made him into the icon that he became, such as his statement black shirts - a result of being unable to afford any other shirts in the early days of his career. This very accident is what has brought this particular post to you all today!
Now I know that black is extremely popular in the fashion world and that a pair of black statement heels and a little black dress are considered wardrobe staples, but after Cash was told that he looked like he was on his way to a funeral when setting out to his first audition, I began to wonder how much black is acceptable before you begin to look like death's accomplice, or how to wear black without looking drab and miserable. So I would love to hear your opinions!!!
In honour of Johnny, I decided to wear my own version of the statement black shirt - a £2 charity shop find. It's actually quite tent-like on me, being several sizes to large, but I adore the silhouette that it creates when tucked into my faux crushed velvet skater skirt from american apparel (a brand new purchase that I am quite in love with at the moment!!). I also think that the shorter length of the skirt lightens the look up a bit and makes it a bit more fun and flirty! The black hat is another recent buy from Topshop, which I am absolutely thrilled with after a long and gruelling search for my dream wide brim trilby hat, I'm afraid I can't remember where the socks or belt were from, but the shoes are New Look and I'm sure you don't need me to tell you again about my greatly cosseted leather satchel yet again! Remember to let me know about your thoughts on wearing black!!

See the look here on lookbook! http://lookbook.nu/look/5131044-Topshop-Black-Trilby-Hat-Charity-Shop-Shirt

Lucy
xXx

4 comments:

  1. You can be truly inspiring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Thank you so much Milex! I couldn't have been made happier by a single comment :D I'm in love with you and your blog :) <3

      Delete
  2. Nah, you can never go wrong with black

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, well it is quite reliably safe, but it can look so heavy sometimes! Especially in Summer! ;)

      Delete